KEY GOVERNMENT WEB SITES
Citizenship and Immigration Canada
- Information on: sponsorship, citizenship applications, immigration in general.
- Advice for Newcomers (information about living in Canada, health services, housing, taxes, etc.)
- Programs for Newcomers (ex. Host Program, Language Instruction, etc.)
- Organizations helping newcomers
- List of key phone numbers and Internet addresses that may be helpful to you as a newcomer to Canada
Government of Canada
Human Resources and Skills Development Canada
- Information on obtaining a Social Insurance Number (SIN) - A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a nine-digit identification number given to you for the purposes of income tax, Employment Insurance, old age pension or other government programs. You need a Social Insurance Number to work in Canada.
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency
- Information on: Personal income tax;
- Canada Child Tax Benefit - a tax-free monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18;
- GST/HST credit - a tax-free quarterly payment that helps individuals and families with low and modest incomes offset all or part of the GST or HST that they pay.
- Note: The tax year in Canada is January to December. You are required to fill your tax return by the end of April. For your 1st tax return, make sure to send a copy to the international tax office.
- Information on general health issues
- Information on current conditions, local forecasts, previous meteorological events, and interesting weather facts or trivia.
PROVINCIAL AND TERRITORIAL WEB SITES
- Applying for a provincial health insurance card and a driver's license
Newfoundland and Labrador
Prince Edward Island
PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE
- As there is a three months waiting period to receive provincial health coverage and health benefits through NRC, we would suggest that you consult with a private health insurance company:
Note: In the province of Ontario, the family of a foreign worker coming to work for less than three years are not covered under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan and by NRC. Therefore, a private health insurance is necessary.
HOUSING IN CANADA
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation
- Advice on: Buying or renting a home, building, renovating & maintaining, mortgage insurance & investments, etc.
- Very detailed maps for Canada and USA (search by address, by name, etc.)
RESOURCES AVAILABLE IN DIFFERENT AREAS